Revised July 1, 2019
Please use PUBLIC DEFENDER SERVICES' (PDS) VOUCHER FORMS revised in July 2009. The Direct Expense Voucher consists of the following: Order Approving Payment, Defense Expense Voucher. Public Defender Services requires only one certified copy of the Direct Expense Voucher and invoices. For copies of the checklist and Direct Expense Voucher Form contact our office at (304) 558-3905 or on our Using OVS page.
To receive payment, a W-9 form must be on file in our office. The payee name and tax identification number on the voucher must match the name and number on the W-9. Please contact Lisa Knell by phone: (304) 558-3905 or email: Leeann.M.Doyle@wv.gov The W-9 Form can be found on the IRS web site: http://www.irs.gov.
NOTE: The direct expense invoice must be $200 or more to be eligible for the service provider to bill as a direct expense.
When resubmitting vouchers returned (rejected) for errors, please DO NOT redo the entire voucher OR use white out on the voucher. Every voucher received by PDS is audited and entered into our computer system which assigns the voucher an Invoice Number. The Invoice Number is the nine digit number listed at the top of the Order Approving Payment. In order to prevent duplication or further delay in processing of the voucher, please attach or correct what is requested in the email and return the entire voucher to PDS. Please add the processor on the email to let them know the voucher has been resubmitted.
ORDER APPROVING PAYMENT:
- Client's name and case number must be the same on all pages of the voucher and any invoices. List the client's state of residence. Child abuse, juvenille, and mental health case names must be redacted. Use first and last initial only.
- Entered date must be a complete date (Month, Day, Year) and any changes to this date must be initialed.
- Must have the Judge's signature.
- Must have the embossed (raised) seal. The State Auditor will not accept photocopies.
- Enter the payee's name and tax identification number as reported to the IRS. Changes in the payee's name or tax identification number must be provided to our agency. Failure to do so will result in a delay of processing your vouchers.
- Provide the Payee's Mailing Address. Changes of address must be provided to our agency. Failure to do so will result in a delay of processing your vouchers. If you have sold your vouchers to a financial service, the mailing address must be the financial service's address.
- If the dollar amount was altered or any written changes appear on the order, the changes must be initialed by the judge.
DIRECT EXPENSE VOUCHER:
- Type of proceeding must be on the voucher.
- The specific criminal charge(s) must be listed for each case number separately. Please specify 1st, 2nd, or 3rd offense.
- List the code citation.
- Must have the attorney's electronic signature with date.
- Must have the payee's telephone number, fax number, and email address.
- Expense totals: Include only those for the appointed attorney submitting the direct expense voucher. Do not include expenses claimed by another attorney appointed to the same case.