This page collects current vacancies in the various Public Defender Corporations across the state. All materials must be submitted to the indicated contact point.
1st Judicial Circuit (Hancock , Brooke, and
- Position: Assistant Public Defender (Weirton office)
Description: The Public Defender Corporation for the First Judicial Circuit of West Virginia has an immediate opening for the position of Assistant Public Defender in the Corporation’s Weirton office. Assistant Public Defenders represent indigent clients at the trial court and appellate stages in the following proceedings: criminal, extradition, probation and parole, contempt, juvenile, and abuse and neglect. Salary depends upon experience and available funding. Benefits may include pension as well as medical and life insurance.
How to apply: Forward applications to Shayne M. Welling, Public Defender; First Judicial Circuit Public Defender Corporation: P.O. Box 347; Wheeling, WV 26003; Phone: (304) 232-5062; Fax: (304) 233-7342: Electronic submissions are encouraged. E-mail:
Shayne@wheelingpdc.org. This office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
2nd Judicial Circuit (Marshall, Tyler, and Wetzel Counties)
- Position: Assistant Public Defender (Moundsville Office)
- Description: The Public Defender Corporation for the Second Judicial Circuit has an Assistant Public Defender position available in late May 2023. The office is located in Moundsville and covers cases in Marshall, Wetzel, and Tyler Counties. Responsibilities include misdemeanor and felony cases, probation and parole revocations, juvenile and abuse and neglect cases, and municipal and appellate work as well. The salary is $50,000+ per year, and medical and life insurance are available and pension is included, as well as paid holidays.
- How to apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and references to Chief Defender Brett M. Ferro, Esq. The materials may be mailed to Public Defender Corporation, 509 Seventh Street, Moundsville, WV 26041, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
6th and 24th Circuit (Cabell and Wayne County)
- Position: Assistant Public Defender (Huntington and Wayne Office)
- Description: Qualified applicants will be responsible for representing indigent persons in misdemeanor and felony cases. Must be a licensed member of any State Bar that is eligible to practice under Rule 9 of the West Virginia Rules for Admission to the Practice of Law, or eligible to be licensed. Work hours are Monday - Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Benefits include life and health insurance, participation in the WV Public Employee Retirement System, participation in the Mountaineer Flexible Benefits program (dental, vision, disability, etc.), paid leave, and paid federal/state holidays.
- How to apply: Applicants may send resume and professional references to Office Manager Susan Lipscomb: email@example.com
12th Judicial Circuit (Fayette County)
- Position: Assistant Public Defender
- Description: The Fayette County Public Defender’s Office is looking for a licensed Attorney. Salary will be commensurate with the level of experience.
- How to apply: Please send resume to Nancy Fraley, Chief Public Defender, 102 Fayette Avenue, Fayetteville, WV 25840 or email to sbarnhousepd12@suddenlinkmail. com.
13th Judicial Circuit (Kanawha County)
Positions: Assistant Public Defender (multiple positions)
Description: The Kanawha County Public Defender Office is seeking qualified applicants for the position of full-time assistant public defender. Experience is preferred but not required. Applicants must be licensed to practice in West Virginia and be in good standing with the State Bar or, if licensed in another jurisdiction, eligible to practice under Rule 9 of the West Virginia Rules for Admission to the Practice of Law. Benefits include paid leave and holidays, life and health insurance, and participation in the W.V. Public Employee Retirement System.
How to apply: Applicants may send cover letter, resume, and professional references to Zoe Shavers, P.O. Box 2827, Charleston, WV 25330, or email Zoe.A.Shavers@wvdefender.com.
17th Judicial Circuit (Monongalia County)
Position: Assistant Public Defender
23rd Judicial Circuit (Berkeley, Jefferson, Morgan Counties)
Position: Assistant Public Defender
Description: The Eastern Panhandle Public Defender Office, with offices located in Martinsburg and Charles Town, is seeking qualified applicants for the position of full-time Assistant Public Defender/Staff Attorney. Experience is preferred but not required. Applicants must be licensed to practice law in West Virginia and be in good standing with the State Bar. Salary based on qualifications and experience. Benefits include paid leave and holidays, life and health insurance, and participation in the WV Public Employee Retirement System.
How to apply: Resume, cover letter, and WV State Bar Number can be sent to: Chief Public Defender, 301A West Burke Street, Martinsburg, WV 25401 or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
25th Judicial Circuit (Boone and Lincoln Counties)
- Position: Chief Public Defender
- Description: The 25th Circuit is looking for a new Chief Public Defender for their office in Madison. Please contact Katherine Lane for more information about the position.
- How to Apply: Mail your resume to Kathrine Lane, Administrative Manager, at the Public Defenders Office on 320 Main Street, Madison, WV 25130. Or you can email it to her at Klane@bcpd25.org.
28th Judicial Circuit (Nicholas County)
- Position: Title 4E Abuse and Neglect Attorney (Summersville, WV)
- How to Apply: Mail your resume to the PDC Office at 723 Main Street Summersville, WV 26651